Southern Engineering was founded by Rick Finnen, P.E. in 2015 to provide outstanding client service and practical, experienced based consulting services that only principal-level relationships can produce. Southern Engineering has its roots deeply embedded in the Mid-Atlantic. Mr. Finnen has provided consulting services on hundreds of projects in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia for more than 25 years for small to mega-sized projects.
Our goal at Southern Engineering is to provide services to select clients for their projects that recognize the advantage of including a highly experienced and well-seasoned consultants from project inception to completion. Principal-level relationships and effective communication are at the heart of our business. Quality work executed on-time provided at competitive prices is our basic business philosophy. At Southern Engineering, our clients' successes are our successes. We're ready to get to work for you on your important projects.
Rick Finnen, P.E.
Rick Finnen, P.E., is the Founder, President and principal in responsible charge for Southern Engineering and Testing, P.C. Mr. Finnen brings more than 25 years of experience developing and leading geotechnical and consulting engineering studies, construction materials testing and special inspection services for small, medium, large and mega-projects for a wide variety of construction projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic.
- Licensed professional engineer in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Maryland
- Bachelor of Science. in Civil Engineering from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering from Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO
- Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member of the GeoProfessional Business Association (GBA - ASFE)
- MECK-SI Designated Special Inspector (DSI)
- South Carolina Certified Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Inspector (CESPSI Trained)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Certified SIte Inspector (CMCSI)
Mr. Finnen is a experienced and seasoned geotechnical engineering consultant for projects including design-build projects, commercial mid-rise and high-rise structures, office buildings, multi-level parking garages, historic structures, higher education, public, private, and charter schools, libraries and churches, hospitals, transportation, transit and military installations. He is experienced with foundation selection and design, adjacent construction and support of excavation, deep excavations and construction dewatering, stormwater infiltration feasibility studies, slope stability analysis, construction material testing and special inspections, and forensic engineering studies. Additionally, he provides expertise in existing foundation assessements and concrete in-place strength and corrosion testing and evaluations. Mr. Finnen has contributed to research published in several professional journals and proceedings.
- "Effect of Construction Sequence on Adjacent Underground Structures"
- "Settlement of a Shallow Foundation Resting on Piedmont Residual Soils of Northern Virginia"
- "Index Properties of Coastal Plain Soils of Southeastern Virginia"
Mr. Finnen is responsible for all operations, including technical, business development and management oversight for Southern Engineering.